Pre Pregnancy Counselling
Pre pregnancy clinic offers counselling and work up of couples who are planning to start a family.
Most women who plan a pregnancy may do so with no medical intervention. However, even for those who are considered "no risk", it is advisable to have a risk assessment based on personal and family history, a general check up and some blood tests like Hemoglobin, Blood sugars, thyroid check, Rubella antibodies and a PAP test. This would ensure that one is truly "no risk". It is recommended that folic acid tablets be taken prior to and during the first few months of pregnancy and hence your doctor would give you a prescription for the same.
In women who have medical problems like Hypertension (high blood pressure), Diabetes, Asthma (wheezing), Epilepsy (fits) etc, it is important to have your doctor examine you, go through your medications and do a few relevant tests. It is important to have a good control of the disease before trying for a baby and hence your doctor may do the necessary dose adjustments. Some medications may be harmful for your baby and if you are on one of those, it will be necessary to change to a safer alternative.
Pre pregnancy counseling is also important if any of the following applies to you:
- If you are overweight or obese.
- If you had mishaps in your previous pregnancies like repeated miscarriages(abortions), pre-term delivery, death of a baby (inside the womb, during or soon after birth).
- If your previous baby has/had a birth defect or was overweight (more than 3.5 kg) or under weight (less than 2.5kg) at the time of birth.
- If you had hypertension, diabetes, thyroid problems which appeared during your pregnancy, even if you are all-right now.
- If you or your partner have a birth defect or If there is a family history of birth defects or any other medical problem.